Making a wooden wick is easier and needs less materials. The items you will need to get are:
- balsa wood sticks
- a jar of olive oil,
- a small bowl,
- wick tabs (or base clips)
- paper towels or rag for cleaning
- Measure the stick you want to use. It should be at least an inch longer than the container and about 1/2 inch wide.
- Pour some olive oil into a bowl and make sure the wood strip is completely soaked in it. This should take about 20 to 30 minutes
- Remove the stick from the oil and clean off the excess oil. Then leave it to get cool for some time.
- Attach the wick to the base of your jar using a wick tab or base clip. Make sure it stands in the center. Then your wick is ready for use
If you follow the guide carefully, then you should find it easy to make your own candle wicks. Homemade candle wicks are especially good. You would need to try them out and see for yourselves. Though they may not be as good as other wick types, they are not bad. After making your own wooden candle wicks, then you can go ahead and use them to make candles.